Sunday, March 2, 2008

Arnold Classic

Ok, so today was the Arnold Classic down in Columbus. A good race overall, despite some trouble with registration (to be expected with any Tym Tyler race, I know it was promoted by Fat Rabbit Racing but Tym was definitely running the show). Dad and I got to the site at about 8:00 with the race scheduled to start at nine. We stood in line for fifty minutes before finally getting a number, and I still wasn't fully kitted up. So at about 8:50 I run to the car to finish getting ready and get my number on, all of that good stuff. By the time I'm ready, it's five after nine. Fortunately, the race was postponed by ten minutes be cause of all the trouble and I didn't miss the start. But I still didn't get a warmup and had only seen about a quarter of the course. At the line were Drew Bercaw, Robert Sroka, a few guys from Dayton, and the big guns Team Turner Logistics from somewhere in Kentucky. I knew the race would be fast from the start and strategized a bit with Drew to take turns attacking, possibly throwing the Turner guys off guard. That didn't work. They sprinted from the gun, and while Drew got close, he didn't quite make the break of me and two of the Turner guys. They still had three guys in the field, so I ended up doing pretty much all of the work for the eight or so laps to the finish. Occasionally one of them would try to get away, but he never did. The other guy (Cory, I think) just sat in the whole time. By the time the finish came around 20 minutes later, we had lapped almost all of the field and passed the 4/5s who started a minute or so before us. At the finish I was leading through the last corner, but Cory came around and won by about a length. Overall, I think the race went pretty well, but it would be nice to have a good junior team to ride with around here.

Semi-Pro was pretty good Friday night. Of course, with Will Ferrell in the starring role it had to be. Some parts were a bit predictable, but still funny.

1 comment:

KRUMP said...

Hi Russ, You probably didn't know this but I like cooking and hot tea too. But nothing beats opening a can of whoop @#$ on another racer. Ride On
Drew