Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nothin' To Do

Here I am, sitting in the school library with nothing to do. I guess I'll write about the two months since my last post. First thing was the Junior State Crit, the day before I got my knee stitches out. I got fifth, I think. Not super, but at least I beat the kids that sat in the whole race. Next week was Zoar. I had one good attack on the third lap, bridging up to a three-man break, but everybody else wanted to be there too, so that didn't work. I couldn't really recover after that and got dropped on the last hill. I probably could have caught the field if it wasn't for my 52x14 junior gearing. Excuses, excuses. The Milk Race didn't go much better. I was, once again, off the front for a bit, only to be dropped a lap later. Junior Road States was better. A few guys from around here made it hard (esp. Tony) until Team Dayton attacked in the feed zone and made Tony lose his bottles. The kid ended up winning, too. That sucks. Anyways, I got third after leading out the sprint. Decent finish and I felt pretty good, so that was OK. August 23 was Valley City. Not much to report, I just hung in the field while Jeremy Grimm solo'd almost the whole race for the win. Greenford was last weekend, agreat race run by Elves & More with lots of help from Stark Velo. Definitely reccommended if they do the race again next year. There were fifteen to twenty 1/2/3's, a pretty good turnout for a first-year event but they definitely deserved more. Anyways, I only lasted four laps, but they were probably my best four laps yet. Second lap I was off the front with Ray, Matt Weeks, and Dan Quinlan. Ohhhhh it was so fast, but we were brought back anyways. Things slowed down a bunch on the third lap until Batke and an IRMC got away. It looked for a while like they would be brought back, but when they had about 25 seconds, Matt Weeks went to bridge up. I went with him and we went fast for a few miles, but we were brought back. About a mile after we were caught, I dropped. Nice try, though, I think. After the break came back, the IRMC guy dropped and I rode with him foor a while. He pulled off when we came to the S/F, I rode a lap alone, and then I finished DFL (9th or so, lots of guys pulled out) with a guy from ProGraphics.

Only two weeks until states! I'm feeling pretty good, I'm thinking a month's worth of long rides and no racing should get me itching to go fast.

-Russ

3 comments:

Gary Burkholder said...

Nice job in all your races, particularly for hanging in at Valley City. I got dropped on the windy backstretch when I couldn't find the echlon.

You racing any CX?

Russ said...

Thanks and yeah I am, but I'm taking two weeks off after states so I won't be crossin' for a while.

JC said...

Great Job this year Russ, hope we can hook up for a couple of rides this winter.