Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sharpening the Saw

One day, a long, long time ago, there was a woodsman. On this particular day the woodsman was running a little bit late to his job cutting down trees. To save himself a little bit of time, the woodsman decided to skip sharpening his saw, a bit of maintenance that he usually did every day. So the woodsman gets to work just in time and he starts cutting up some trees. The woodsman notices right away that his saw really isn't sawing quite as well as it should. It takes the woodsman an extra ten minutes to take care of the first tree. As the day goes on, the woodsman's saw just keeps getting duller. In the end, the woodsman finishes his work an hour and a half later than he would have with a sharp saw. The moral of the story: Think long-term. It's usually better to do something that will make you slower in the short term if it will make you faster later.

Today I sharpened my saw (really my legs) for the Race for Alex tomorrow. I felt pretty good - almost 100% - and I'm hoping that today's ride loosened up the legs enough to make a difference. Only six more points for my cat 3 upgrade!

-Russ

No comments: